Monday, February 6, 2012

Patricia Kuhl: The linguistic genius of babies

Although I knew that babies are good at learning languages, but I didn't know why. The reason is that they have open mind toward all of the languages unlike adults. According to Patricia Kuhl, we adults are "culture-bound listeners" , which means we unconsciously shut out other languages. On the other hand, babies, especially under 1 year old, don't have any barriers, so they can easily acquire all sounds of all languages.
I am just envious of them babies. Even though I have been struggling to improve my English skill for couple of years, I haven't mastered it yet. If I had a baby's mind or brain,  I would be already a fluent English speaker at this moment. Can I adopt this baby's way of learning to mine? Can I have an open mind like them?
Actually these are very difficult because my mind is already packed with a lot of fixed ideas and prejudice. In short I am not clean slates. Therefore I think all I can do for acquiring English is just trying to immerse myself in Englihs world and absorb it as much as possible. 


No comments:

Post a Comment